Friday, July 31, 2009

HRH's Birthday: Mission Impossible

Mousey Mission Impossible

HRH's (His Royal Highness) birthday is in 10 days so I've been doing some thinking about what to do. I know for certain that I want everything to be a surprise. I also know that I don't want to invite anyone to it, ANYONE, because they've all been black listed in my book. (FYI: Blacklisting happens when someone is invited to a party or important event and they fail to show up. I've gone to parties with a fever, so, there is no excuse that touches my cold stone heart.) And I'm not inviting family because my family is too enormous and I just can't do something as nice if everyone comes over. I figure if they want to badly enough, they can do something themselves. I'm confident my plan will both offend and hurt, but...this is not about everyone else, this is about HRH and the party he won't let me throw him, and which I'm going to anyway.

Back to my list. I also know that I don't want him to know how much I'm going to spend. Remember I told you about the time I prepared all those menu options for his super brithday dinner and he said all he wanted was for me not to spend money? Well, my sister's boyfriend suggested that I leave him out of the decision process entirely and just surprise him. Whether that's an excellent idea or not, it's what I'm going to do and I'll deal with the consequences later.

Keeping this a secret is not going to be too difficult since I routinely lie to HRH in order to spare him stress or pain (mine, not his). However, there are a few precautions that must be taken and yesterday I almost seriously blew it. I had carefully written out in my notebook the menu, guests, options, prices, etc and then I walked away and left it open on my bed. Fukui-san came home and walked into the room before I could chase after him and hide it. I have no idea if he saw it. I don't think he did because he didn't say anything. But, it wouldn't have taken much effort to recognize what was on the paper as it was titled in huge capitals: Daniel's Surprise Birthday Celebration Lunch Menu. -- ?

So, maybe that wasn't the most intelligent thing to do. I should have written something like: Hair Dying Options, or How to Throw Clothes in the Hamper and Not on the Floor, or The Hamper and It's Uses, or maybe even something like, Dishes - Wash Them. Basically anything other than what I wrote would have done the trick.

I spoke to the kids about my mission impossible and swore them to secrecy, complete with a detailed list of what would befall them if they broke the silence and everything. I told HRH that I was taking the kids out with Meury to "have fun" at the mall. OMG! He is so easy to lie to. If he had given it any thought at all he would have put a couple of important bits of info together like: I hate the mall, and I hate it even more on rainy school holidays when everyone is there. EVERYONE! A line like "have fun at the mall" is an oxymoron. Hello? I don't think he cared where we went and there's a possibility he wasn't even listening - bless his heart.

To make a super long story short, we survived. We didn't only survive, we emmerged victorious! There was a sale at a very nice store and we were able to get him a sweater/jacket (which he really needs and wants), a pair of nice jeans and a cool dress shirt. I knew the shopping gods were looking down on us because aside from the sale price, I got 20% off on the third item, and when I went to pay, I was given an additional discount based on the fact that I'm awesome.

Hope I didn't bore you to tears with this post. I was just reading back and I can honestly say it's really not one of my best, nor is it one of my worst.

Tata for now!

No comments: