Thursday, June 25, 2009

Poetry: Luck is not chance - by Emily Dickinson


by Emily Dickinson

Luck is not chance --
It's Toil --
Fortune's expensive smile
It's earned --
The Father of the Mine
Is that old-fashioned Coin
We spurned --

I've had a run of extremely good luck. But I was thinking about it, and really it's not so much luck as it is the return of the fruits of my labor. I work hard. I've earned it. But just in case Lady Luck is listening -- Thanks! (and of course when I say Lady Luck, you know I mean The Almighty).

2 comments:

Leticia Moraes said...

He's listening and I just heard Him say:"You're Welcome!Anytime!"

angie said...

That's right - you deserve good luck for all your toil ;)

So even though I think you've stolen all my good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your run to last :D