Monday, May 25, 2009

In Which We Console Ourselves With Cheesecake

Adam Lambert - you will always be my Idol!!


I can't tell you how disappointed I was that Adam didn't win. I had totally planned to celebrate and prance around letting my crazy hang out for the world to see. It was not meant to be because alas, in a ridiculous twist of fate and stupid fluke, Kris (with a K) the most non-Idol Idol won. As far as I'm concerned Adam won and he'll always be my Idol. All that to say that I had made a cheesecake to celebrate his win, but we used it to console ourselves in the end. Lua who usually strongly dislikes cheesecakes loved it. It was a major success and we all felt much better after mouthfuls of creamy, mousse-y, luscious, and rich cheesecake. There's nothing like good company and a good cheesecake to make you feel better. Here's the recipe:


Flor's No Bake Cheesecake

Ingredients:

Filling:
  • 500 gr whipping cream
  • 600gr softened cream cheese
  • zest of 2 limes
  • juice of 1 big lime
  • 1 cup sugar (aprox. to taste - keep in mind that there will be sweet jam on top)
  • vanilla
Pastry:
  • 250gr maizena (or graham) cracker crumbs (processed to fine)
  • 100gr melted unsalted butter
Jam:

I know I should say that I make my own, but I don't. My fave cheesecake jam topping is a good brand of store bought jam with a bit of flavored fruit brandy to thin it out a bit.

Directions:

Pastry
  • Process the cookies really well so that they're nice and smooth
  • Mix with melted butter. The "dough" should hold when pinched. Press it into your baking dish (I like a pretty round 10 inch spring form pan, but you can use whatever you want)
  • Bake in medium heat until the edges start to brown
  • Cool completely
Filling
  • Beat the cream to stiff peaks and reserve
  • Beat the cream cheese, sugar, zest, juice, and vanilla together until very smooth and light
  • Carefully and thoroughly fold in the whipped cream (you can add a couple of tsp of gelatin if you feel it won't hold without it, depends on the cream)
  • Pour into completely cooled pie crust and chill for at least 4-6 hours before serving
  • Thin out the jam with brandy of your choice and spoon on top of the cheesecake and enjoy!

1 comment:

angie said...

That cheesecake was waaay awesome!!

And my not-so-humble opinion is that the many thousands of fools who DIDN'T vote for Adam were totally sniffing glue... apparently neither Jesus nor Adam are enough for them so they're searching for answers in Kris... yeaaaah, good luck with that!